Saturday, September 8, 2012

Old Family Photographs


Grandfather's motorcycle



Motorcycle Races
Great Uncle with sunglasses -- top center        
Great-uncle, great-grandmother and great great grandmother in New York City
 
New York Rooftop and around the city


 
My Great Uncle John had kept an interesting photograph album of his life in New York City.  I, also, found so many great photos of my grandfather on his motorcycle.  He would tell us stories of racing motorcycles up very steep hills as large crowds watched, cheering them on from the sidelines.  Did you win? I remembered asking.  My grandfather would just smile, not answering.  He always seemed to be keeping secrets, private memories. It sounded exciting and dangerous and to a very young girl, somewhat difficult imagining her Grandad so young, so wild, so free-spirited.  Looking at the photos now, I want to sit and chat with my younger grandfather and admire his "bike" up-close.  I want to sit beside my great uncle on that New York City apartment rooftop. I want to know them.  I want to take in those moments with them. It's both exciting and frustrating to view these old photographs, sharing only a glimpse of themselves, keeping their secrets from me. 

I've more to share ... but for now it's time to say goodnight.

xo Kim